Author Topic: PTS Logo/Icon?  (Read 1653 times)

fuzzy

PTS Logo/Icon?
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:46:57 am »
Testing some things out and interested if you guys think this might be the beginnings of a symbol that might be a little more in line with Cass's work.  Trying to keep a similar theme because the theme really keeps us connected in the public eye to the original project--which = higher valuation.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:48:01 am by fuzzy »

cube

• CoreTeam
  • Bit by bit, we will get there!
Re: PTS Logo/Icon?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:49:08 am »
I love Cass's work too.  Simplicity and easy to connect to users are the keys. And like you said, we need to keep the same theme across.  AlphaBar has done some work in this. Perhaps alpha can share his thoughts with us.
Contribute to the PTS Development Program!
Please send your donation to ID: bitcube

pc

• CoreTeam
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:20:02 am »
Very good! (Except it's not bitshares PTS anymore, just PTS.)

Which reminds me... there's a PNG somewhere in the C++ source files that still needs to be replaced: libraries/client/notifier.cpp
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de/
My PTS binary packages for CentOS, Fedora, openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ap_conrad%3Abts&package=PTS
Please donate: pts:cyrano - thanks!

freetrade

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:34:59 am »
Recommend keeping the old logo.

We're already changing the name and PoW->DPoS . . . change any more and it'll start to look like a completely new project and lose accumulated value and brand.

I think generally the Bitshares community has overestimated the value of a new logo, and underestimated the value of the consistency of keeping an old one.

Similarly, when pc and I argue about the initial parameters . . . it's because we care about getting them right from the outset . . they are not easy to change . . every hard fork costs credibility and market value. A new logo is like a marketing hard fork.

pc

• CoreTeam
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:33:27 am »
That sounds reasonable, too. Since I'm neither designer nor marketing expert I'll keep out of this particular discussion. :-/
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de/
My PTS binary packages for CentOS, Fedora, openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ap_conrad%3Abts&package=PTS
Please donate: pts:cyrano - thanks!

fuzzy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 04:27:23 am »
its ok. neither are we. 

Well I have studied a great deal in behavioral psych...so I have a pretty solid understanding of what makes people tick, but aside from that no special knowledge. your opinion is valued.

fuzzy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:41:10 am »
Recommend keeping the old logo.

We're already changing the name and PoW->DPoS . . . change any more and it'll start to look like a completely new project and lose accumulated value and brand.

I think generally the Bitshares community has overestimated the value of a new logo, and underestimated the value of the consistency of keeping an old one.

Similarly, when pc and I argue about the initial parameters . . . it's because we care about getting them right from the outset . . they are not easy to change . . every hard fork costs credibility and market value. A new logo is like a marketing hard fork.

I think with respect to the value of a logo...you are severely underestimating it.  The first thing a user who does not understand the technology sees...is the logo.  The imagery.  Saying "don't change the logo" is much akin to saying "Don't hire that new sexy girl to be a hostess at our newly renovated club--keep that old lady the old club had!"

Where a coder sees the tech and salivates, the non-techies look at the imagery to determine legitimacy.  Would Apple have the following they have today if they didn't have awesome imagery?  The same is true for logos and anything brandwise.  Why has Microsoft largely kept the same logo, but upgraded it multiple times? To keep their IMAGE from getting stale.  This is marketing 101.  Something tells me freetrade likes old movies--nothing wrong with that though!

I am not saying this to get my logos used.  I am simply saying it because I am invested in a project that I hope doesn't get lost in trying its best NOT to grow and adapt.  Growth and adaptation are the only way we survive.

AlphaBar

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:48 am »
Guys, I think we do eventually need a complete rebrand, but it should be done after a successful upgrade to DPOS. I know that I3 has requested that we drop BitShares from the name, and I agree with them that this should be done. There are two reasons to wait until after the upgrade to rebrand (vs changing to PTS now):

1) Dispel any myths that this is a new coin.
2) Prevent any confusion caused by multiple rebrands in a short time. To be honest, PTS is also a horrible name. If we're going to rebrand, we should do it once and do it right.

I've created a website and some branding materials and I will tell you before I share them with you that they are imperfect. Perfect branding can hurt us right now. For the time being, we need to put all of our efforts into conveying a single message: that we are upgrading BitShares PTS to DPOS. Same coin, same name, same allocation, same exchanges, with only one simple upgrade.

mira

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:18:33 am »
To be honest, PTS is also a horrible name.

Yes.. PTS - Post Traumatic Stress      :-\

freetrade

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 08:17:24 am »
Guys, I think we do eventually need a complete rebrand, but it should be done after a successful upgrade to DPOS. I know that I3 has requested that we drop BitShares from the name, and I agree with them that this should be done. There are two reasons to wait until after the upgrade to rebrand (vs changing to PTS now):

2) Prevent any confusion caused by multiple rebrands in a short time. To be honest, PTS is also a horrible name. If we're going to rebrand, we should do it once and do it right.

I've created a website and some branding materials and I will tell you before I share them with you that they are imperfect. Perfect branding can hurt us right now. For the time being, we need to put all of our efforts into conveying a single message: that we are upgrading BitShares PTS to DPOS. Same coin, same name, same allocation, same exchanges, with only one simple upgrade.

+1

My confidence in AlphaBar is growing.

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:51:08 am »

+1

My confidence in AlphaBar is growing.

+1.  Full agreement.  PTS, however, is probably a good name to keep.  Change the name and risk losing the original people who joined the cause in the first place AND the connection that devs will make to bitshares as a sharedrop item.  Changing the name will open it up so someone from the bts community can simply make PTS an asset on the exchange itself.  Then you lost both brand and name recognition. 

You are correct that it should be done right and done once, but don't be so silly as to think anyone is going to sharedrop on a vanilla token that has absolutely no touch of a connection with PTS.  As we stand currently, how many forum members do we have who are active?  Building an active community is going to be really hard without piggybacking on the PTS branding already achieved.  I think people are severely underestimating how hard it is going to be to get this token seen as a premier sharedropping token with absolutely all links cut to BTS. 

As it stands now, you have at least some support from a core of people who will remain here to keep PTS alive.  Kill the name and you lose that support...and that sets you back 3+ months at least.