Author Topic: A new brand for a shiny new PTS  (Read 4519 times)

biophil

Re: A new brand for a shiny new PTS
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:44 pm »
"the gift that keeps giving!"  is a good quote.  Somehow it is kind of abstract for a lay person.  'PTS is a gift?' 'From who?'  'For who?'

Yeah, that's probably true.

I've never thought the currency angle was all that valuable, but I'm generally skeptical of Austrian Economics anyway and so I probably won't see eye-to-eye with the devs on that one.

Anyway, if PTS turns out to be broadly accepted as a sharedrop token, I'll be thrilled. That's my favorite story about PTS. Bytemaster once said buying PTS was something like buying into "the idea of a DAC." In my opinion, that should be PTS's main message. It should be automatic in potential DAC/coin devs' minds that your project will be crap unless you sharedrop to PTS and win this community over.

We're not greedy people who want a piece of the pie for nothing, we're visionary early-adopters who will propel your project to success!
Yep, I'm the same biophil as the one on the bitsharestalk forum.

PTS account name: biophil

pc

• CoreTeam
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »
I like that (except we can't call it Protoshares).

Really? I thought that we couldn't call it BitShares-PTS, but I didn't know that protoshares itself was out of the question. I think the proto part in protoshares was brilliant, we should try to find something that conveys the same idea (ie: something out of which you can mold all other currencies, that serves as a prototype)

Protoshares was rebranded to Bitshares PTS because the name Protoshares is trademarked I believe. Which is a real tragedy because proto-shares is spot on.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de/
My PTS binary packages for CentOS, Fedora, openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ap_conrad%3Abts&package=PTS
Please donate: pts:cyrano - thanks!

biophil

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 04:17:31 pm »
I like that (except we can't call it Protoshares).

Really? I thought that we couldn't call it BitShares-PTS, but I didn't know that protoshares itself was out of the question. I think the proto part in protoshares was brilliant, we should try to find something that conveys the same idea (ie: something out of which you can mold all other currencies, that serves as a prototype)

Protoshares was rebranded to Bitshares PTS because the name Protoshares is trademarked I believe. Which is a real tragedy because proto-shares is spot on.

Agreed, I think protoshares was the only good name I3 ever came up with.

People threw around the idea of using the name "Genesis" in some capacity. I like that, but it wouldn't let us keep the PTS ticker.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

wackou

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »
it wouldn't let us keep the PTS ticker.

I think keeping the PTS ticker is an absolute requirement, there are already people denying that PTS-DPoS is only an upgrade of PTS-PoW, imagine what it would be if the ticker would change...

Some suggestions:

PilotShares
PrimevalTokenShares (quite a mouthful...)
PrimevalShares (doesn't have the T...)

In any case:

Bytemaster once said buying PTS was something like buying into "the idea of a DAC." In my opinion, that should be PTS's main message.

That is the reason that got me into Protoshares initially, and I think that we should keep this message. It's kind of like investing in Y Combinator, but then you would also get a proportional number of shares for each startup that they invest in. I think that if formulated correctly, this can be a very powerful message.

wackou

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »
Non-inflation is definitely an attribute of PTS.  But I think the term 'non-inflation' is too technical to an average user.  How could we make it into a really simple message?

-> it generates interest (I think people understand that very clearly)

There was an idea at the time from Bytemaster to not display the amount of BitShares you had as the amount of tokens, but as a fraction of the total supply (they were called bips, not 100% sure what it stood for, but it was a billionth unit of the total supply).

So let's assume PTS2.0 starts with exactly 1'000'000'000 units, and you buy 1000 PTS, then you have 1000 bips at that time.
But after a while, and having burnt 1'100'110 PTS in transaction fees, there are only 990'099'009 PTS left, then you would have:

1000 PTS * 1'000'000'000 / 990'099'009 = 1010 bips, so during that period you would have gained 1% interest, without doing anything. Granted, it might take some time to get there, but at least it's a strictly positive number...

robrigo

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:39 pm »
PerpetualShares

Because they keep perpetuating themselves in the form of a new DACs. Also the supply is perpetual at worst and deflationary at best.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:56:26 pm by robrigo »

infovortice2013

• id: traderx
    • bitshares en español
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 03:06:54 am »
PerpetualShares

Because they keep perpetuating themselves in the form of a new DACs. Also the supply is perpetual at worst and deflationary at best.
+5%

biophil

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 04:14:30 am »
PerpetualShares

I'm not crazy about the number of syllables in that name... I've always hated 5-syllable coin names :)

Otherwise, that's a good message.

cube

• CoreTeam
  • Bit by bit, we will get there!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:23 am »

Anyway, if PTS turns out to be broadly accepted as a sharedrop token, I'll be thrilled. That's my favorite story about PTS. Bytemaster once said buying PTS was something like buying into "the idea of a DAC." In my opinion, that should be PTS's main message. It should be automatic in potential DAC/coin devs' minds that your project will be crap unless you sharedrop to PTS and win this community over.

We're not greedy people who want a piece of the pie for nothing, we're visionary early-adopters who will propel your project to success!

We have two very different groups of target.

Target 1:  The Grandma (the general consumers, the late adopters)

Target 2:  The Nerd (the IT savvy, the crypto-coin devs)

The sharedrop-token message could very well attract target 2. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:38:48 am by cube »
Contribute to the PTS Development Program!
Please send your donation to ID: bitcube

cube

• CoreTeam
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:41 am »

-> it generates interest (I think people understand that very clearly)

1000 PTS * 1'000'000'000 / 990'099'009 = 1010 bips, so during that period you would have gained 1% interest, without doing anything. Granted, it might take some time to get there, but at least it's a strictly positive number...

Yes, this is good. Everyone like interest, especially Grandmas.

cube

• CoreTeam
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:04 am »
I'm not crazy about the number of syllables in that name... I've always hated 5-syllable coin names :)

I think Grandmas can't really handle anything more than 2 syllables.

emailtooaj

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 03:25:39 am »
How about "Portal Shares", can still use the PTS ticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emailtooaj

A new brand for a shiny new PTS
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 03:26:30 am »
Lol, or "Phat Shares"
Now how phat is that!

biophil

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 05:06:36 am »
Lol, or "Phat Shares"
Now how phat is that!

Haha, gonna party like it's 1999!

graffenwalder

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:42 pm »
How about PromoShares?

Since PTS is a demographic, the share droppers are promoting their product.

Maybe we could do something in promoting other things with funding.
Then PTS would become something of a marketing DAC/coin