Author Topic: Upgrade Delegates without missing blocks  (Read 1219 times)

Riverhead

Upgrade Delegates without missing blocks
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »
Since we're nearly live I thought this may be useful for those that are new to running a delegate. While upgrading the client now is pretty straightforward eventually the upgrade operation may take longer than a round and you risk missing a block. The following is a process I follow when a new version drops:

Lets says we're on 0.0.1 and we're upgrading to 0.0.2

1) Refresh the git repository with the new version (pull/checkout/init/update/etc.)
2) cmake .;make pts_client
3) sudo mv programs/client/pts_client /usr/local/bin/pts_client.even
4) cd ~
5) screen -r delegate.even
6) pts_client.even --data-dir=delegate_name.pts_client.even
8\) Open the delegate wallet and let the client sync. It may need to re-index
9) When it's all done switch to the delegate.odd screen
10) type info and wait until you've either signed your next block or the next block is about 10 minutes out
11) quit the client (or lock it if you want the chain to stay sync'd)
12) switch back to delegate.even screen and unlock the wallet and make sure block production is set to true.
13) Wait for next release.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:22:43 pm by Riverhead »

pc

Re: Upgrade Delegates without missing blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »
Ah, very good. Could you put that up in the wiki? That would be great. http://pts.cubeconnex.com/wiki/
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de/
My PTS binary packages for CentOS, Fedora, openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ap_conrad%3Abts&package=PTS
Please donate: pts:cyrano - thanks!

Riverhead

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:26:35 pm »
Er, how do I do that? I created an account on the wiki but I don't see where I can add text. This is my first wiki to update  :-\

cube

• CoreTeam
  • Bit by bit, we will get there!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »
Cool stuff! 8)

Thanks for putting them up.  Added wiki write access to your account.  Please try if you can write to it.
Contribute to the PTS Development Program!
Please send your donation to ID: bitcube

Riverhead

fftt

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:52:36 am »
Very informative. Thanks.   :)

Just a related question. If I want to switch the delegate from one machine to another, can I apply the above method?

Another question always puzzle me. For Bitcoin-based wallets, I can run the same wallet (same set of priv/pub keys) on multiple machines simultaneously. For bitshares-based wallet, I am not sure about it. Can I do that without causing inconsistency among wallets (current version)?  I heard that there is a thief stealing BTS recently. May be that already answer my question.

Thanks

Riverhead

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 04:03:00 am »
Very informative. Thanks.   :)

Just a related question. If I want to switch the delegate from one machine to another, can I apply the above method?

Another question always puzzle me. For Bitcoin-based wallets, I can run the same wallet (same set of priv/pub keys) on multiple machines simultaneously. For bitshares-based wallet, I am not sure about it. Can I do that without causing inconsistency among wallets (current version)?  I heard that there is a thief stealing BTS recently. May be that already answer my question.

Thanks

Yes and yes. With delegates the only thing you need to worry about is only having one unlocked signing wallet (block production set to true). The wallets themselves used to have issues with multiple copies but since that has been fixed.

fftt

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 05:10:15 am »

Yes and yes. With delegates the only thing you need to worry about is only having one unlocked signing wallet (block production set to true). The wallets themselves used to have issues with multiple copies but since that has been fixed.

Thanks.